Difference between revisions of "Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replace - 'Category:England' to 'Category:Lancashire')
(Copyright Badge Added)
Line 1: Line 1:
==== {{copyright}} ====
==== History  ====
==== History  ====
Line 22: Line 24:

Revision as of 22:03, 18 May 2011



History[edit | edit source]

Prior to the formation in 1837 2 town workhouses existed :
Poulton le Fylde.
The Fylde Poor Law Union was formed on 27th January 1837.

Constituent parishes included:
 Bispham, Lancashire Genealogy, Bryning with Kellamergh,LancashireBlackpool St John, Lancashire Genealogy Carleton (Great and Little), Lancashire Genealogy , Clifton with Salwick within Lund, Lancashire GenealogyElswick, Lancashire GenealogyFreckleton,LancashireGreenhalgh with Thistleton, Lancashire Genealogy, Hardhorn with Newton,Lancashire, Kirkham, Lancashire Genealogy, Layton with Warbreck, Little Eccleston with Larbreck,  Lund, Lancashire Genealogy , Lytham, Lancashire Genealogy, Lytham St John, Lancashire Genealogy, Marton, Lancashire Genealogy, Medlar with Wesham, Mythrop, Newton with Scales, Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire Genealogy, Ribby cum Wrea, Lancashire Genealogy, Singleton, Lancashire Genealogy, Thornton, Treales Roseacre and Wharles, Warton (near Kirkham), Lancashire Genealogy, Weeton and Preese Weeton, Lancashire Genealogy, Westby with Plumpton, Whitechapel, Lancashire Genealogy St Michael on Wyre, Lancashire Genealogy.
Later Additions (from 1894): Blackpool, Fleetwood, St Anne's on the Sea South Shore Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy.

The Kirkham Workhouse[edit | edit source]

Initially, the new Fylde Union took over the Kirkham parish workhouse, despite the pleas of Poulton-le-Fylde, the only other settlement in the Fylde to have a workhouse.
In 1843-4, a new workhouse was erected at the north side of Moor Lane in Kirkham. It was enlarged in around 1864 to house 250 paupers.
The Kirkham Cottage Homes
After the opening of a new workhouse at Medlar-with-Wesham in 1907, the old Kirkham workhouse buildings were used for a few years as a children's home and then demolished in around 1912.
On 23rd July 1913, the foundation stone was laid for a new group of children's cottage homes on the site. These consisted of three houses on Moor Street together with a superintendent's house on Station Road.
These were later used as a medical centre and Social Services department.

The Medlar-with-Wesham Workhouse
[edit | edit source]

A new workhouse was erected in 1903-7 at Medlar-with-Wesham. It was designed by Charles S Haywood and Fred Harrison.
From 1904, to protect them from disadvantage in later life, the birth certificates for those born in the workhouse gave its address just as 1 Derby Road, Wesham.
The site later became Wesham Park Hospital but this has now closed. In 2001, the main workhouse blocks were still used as NHS Trust office accommodation.
The first union workhouse on Back Lane was demolished in the 1950s or 1960s.

Records[edit | edit source]

  •  Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2RE. Few local records survive — holdings include: Guardians' minutes (1845-1930).

[edit | edit source]