France, Var, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
France, Var, Civil Registration, 1793-1914
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the French Republic|
|Flag of the department of Var|
|Location of Var, France|
|Location of France|
|Record Type:||Civil registration|
|Title in the Language:||France, Var, Etat-Civil, 1793-1914|
|Archives départementales du Var|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index to civil registration of births, marriages and deaths for the Département of Var for the years 1793-1914. The department was created in March 1790 from the province of Provence.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading them see:
- France Languages
- French Genealogical Word List
- French Handwriting
- Brigham Young University, Center for Family History & Genealogy French Script Tutorial
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are searching for
- Date of event (birth, marriage, or death)
- Event place
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Use a research log to keep track of your sources and sites you have visited.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add the new information to your records
- Use the information to find the person in other records
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
- If possible, use what you know to find an image of the original record
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
- Check for variants of given names and surnames
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in France:
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.