Fort Belknap Indian Agency (Montana)
Records[edit | edit source]
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include:
- Birth and death certificates and reports, 1915-1919
- Family history cards, 1909
- U.S. Army discharges of Indian scouts, 1883-1894
- Student case files, 1935-1950
Many more records of lesser genealogical value are also in this collection.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Fort Belknap Agency, 1883-1900, are on roll 12 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617685).
Microfilm copies of “Narrative and Statistical Reports” for the Crow Agency, 1905-1937, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 45-46, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm numbers 1724263-1724264.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1911 and from 1913 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 126 thru 131. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 576481-576486). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services.