FamilySearch Wiki:FamilySearch Research Wiki
- 1 What is the FamilySearch Research Wiki?
- 2 Purpose of the FamilySearch Research Wiki
- 3 Search Places and Topics, Not People
- 4 Searching the Wiki
- 5 Additional Research Help
- 6 Contributing to the Wiki
- 7 Notifications from the Wiki
What is the FamilySearch Research Wiki?Edit
The FamilySearch Research Wiki is a free, online genealogical guide created and maintained by FamilySearch, a non-profit organization. It contains links to genealogy databases, websites, other resources, research strategies, and genealogical guidance to assist in the search for your ancestors. Articles included are locality pages for countries around the world and topic pages that include pertinent genealogy record types explaining how to use the record, what it contains, and how to find it. MediaWiki software is used to house this information.
Purpose of the FamilySearch Research WikiEdit
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sponsors the FamilySearch Research Wiki. The Research Wiki is a private resource offered as a public service.
It was created to:
- Promote the activities of collecting, compiling, maintaining genealogical research for the use and benefit of everyone
- Offer educational resources by sharing information about genealogical methodology and records
- Assist in fulfilling the genealogical responsibilities of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Complete List of Purpose, Policies, and Procedures of the Research Wiki
Search Places and Topics, Not PeopleEdit
The Wiki does not contain specific individuals but instead lists genealogical resources that may list an individual. When searching the Research Wiki, search for the place your ancestor was born, lived, and died. If your ancestor, Robert Palmer Jones was born in Sussex, England, type in Sussex in the search field. The Sussex, England page will contain links to online databases and have Sussex topic pages regarding genealogical records pertaining to Sussex.
Searching the WikiEdit
- Browse the Wiki by country - List of all Country pages in the Wiki
- Browse the Wiki by content - Categories listing Wiki pages
Additional Research HelpEdit
Contributing to the WikiEdit
Final determination about the appropriateness of contributed content rests with FamilySearch.
How to Contribute to the WikiEdit
- Request Editing Rights on the Wiki
- Submit Wiki Content
- Report a Problem
- Wiki Projects
- Contributing to the Wiki
- Adopt a Wiki Page
- Instructions on how to edit the Wiki
- Wiki Tools for Research
Guidelines for Adding Content to the WikiEdit
Wiki News and Known IssuesEdit
Information about the Wiki including new features and known issues can be found on the following Wiki page:
Notifications from the WikiEdit
Please note that you may receive email notifications from the FamilySearch Research Wiki concerning watched pages, messages left on your user talk page, and when your Wiki role changes. Use the instructions found on the Notifications Wiki page to change your notification preferences.