FamilySearch Learning Center:Purpose, Policies, and Procedures
What is the FamilySearch Learning Center?[edit | edit source]
The FamilySearch Learning Center is a free, online genealogical video repository created and maintained by FamilySearch, a non-profit organization. The Learning Center provides access to many training videos and webinar recordings designed to help users learn how to research their ancestors.
Who Maintains the Learning Center?[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch owns and maintains the Learning Center. FamilySearch relies on Family History Library staff and volunteers to update and create videos found in the Learning Center. Due to the number of videos, FamilySearch cannot guarantee that the content found in any video is current.
Content Allowed in the Learning Center[edit | edit source]
- Videos providing genealogical training.
- Handouts that are meant to accompany videos.
- Videos providing training on genealogical tools or websites.
Learning Center Content Policies[edit | edit source]
- IP/Correlation approved videos: If a video has not received approval, it will not be allowed in the Learning Center. All videos must be approved through the Salt Lake City IP/Correlation processes.
- Videos from non-FamilySearch employees, recorded by FamilySearch, must sign the "FamilySearch Release to Record" form.
- Videos uploaded by non-FamilySearch employees must agree to the FamilySearch Content Submission Agreement.
- Videos and trainings must be focused on genealogical topics. Videos and trainings that do not focus on genealogical topics will be removed from the Learning Center or not considered for upload.
- Handouts must accompany a video or training. Handouts that do not have an accompanying video are better suited to other sites.
- Videos and materials that contain information about the temple, will be restricted to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Editing existing material in a way that changes the intent of the video is prohibited.
- FamilySearch reserves the right to deny the publication of any lesson.
Content Not Allowed in the Leaning Center[edit | edit source]
- Stand-alone handouts or PowerPoints.
- Videos or materials not based on a genealogical topic.
- Discussions of religion, politics, ethnicity, culture, and history; except in relation to family history research and record keeping.
- Biographical information about an individual, unless it's used to describe a record or used in a case study to illustrate a research process or principle.
- Personal points of view, opinions, arguments, testimonials or stories of research experiences; except in relation to family history research.
- Advertising or reviews of products or services.
- Profanity or profane slang in any form or language.
- Religious doctrine or advocacy, or criticism of religious practices.
- Doctrine and practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Internal policies or contact information of FamilySearch International.
- Contact information for business affiliates of FamilySearch International.
- Criticism of FamilySearch or any of its business operations.