Dunbartonshire, Scotland Genealogy
|Scotland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Dunbartonshire ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Background[edit | edit source]
Dunbartonshire (or Dumbartonshire) is a county in the west of Scotland, bounded on the north by Perthshire, on the east by the counties of Perth and Stirling, on the south by the Firth of Clyde, and on the west by Argyllshire. Including the detached parishes of Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld, it extends towards the east for 12 miles between the counties of Stirling and Lanark and is about 57 miles in length. It varies from 24 to 2 miles in breadth and contains 261 square miles or 167,040 acres.
The county consists of twelve parishes. Dumbarton is the county town and the only royal burgh. There are four burghs of barony and several villages.
(Source: Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 2nd ed., 1851. Family History Library book 941 E5L.)
ScotlandsPeople is one of the largest online sources of original genealogical information. If you are researching UK genealogy, your Scottish ancestry or building your Scottish family tree, they have more than 100 million records to look through.
The comprehensive choice of Scottish records includes:
For more detail on exact record availability, see Availability. For examples of the records available, see Record Types and Examples. More information on the site, its contents, and instructions for using it can be found in the ScotlandsPeople Wiki article. Indexes may be searched for free, and there is a small pay per view fee to see the actual digitized record.
Census[edit | edit source]
Many census records have been indexed by surname. Some indexes cover one parish (and will be listed in the Wiki on the parish page) and some indexes are for the county as a whole. The Family History Library has county-wide census placename indexes for Dunbartonshire for 1881. Click here for other census indexes available at the library.
- ScotlandsPeople, index, images, free index, pay per view ($)
- Scotland Census, 1841, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1851, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1861, no images. Also at MyHeritage, index, ($). Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1871, no images. Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1881, no images. Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1891, no images. Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1901, index and images, ($). Also at findmypast, index, ($). Also at Ancestry.com, index, ($).
- Scotland Census, 1911, index and images, ($).
Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1658 - 1919 - Scotland Church Records and Kirk Session Records, 1658-1919 at FamilySearch — index
Parishes[edit | edit source]
Some of the Dunbartonshire parish records are indexed in Dunbartonshire, Scotland, Extracted Parish Records.
This database is a collection of historical parish registers from the county of Dunbarton in the country of Scotland. The records in this collection can range in date from the early 1500s to the mid- to late-1800s. The records include baptisms/christenings, burials, marriages, tombstone inscriptions, obituaries, tax lists, wills, and other miscellaneous types of records. Also included are some records from non-conformist churches. You will find interesting phonetic spelling. Some of the records may be in Latin or even a Welsh or Scottish dialect. Due to the nature of the records and because the records were originally compiled by a third party, it is difficult to absolutely verify the completeness and validity of the data.
Here is a list of the historic parishes of Dunbartonshire with their parish numbers. Click on a parish name to see information about records. Click on this link to see an outline map of Dunbartonshire.
|Dumbarton (or Dunbarton)||496|
|East Kilpatrick -- see New Kilpatrick|
|Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Genealogy||501|
|West Kilpatrick -- see Old Kilpatrick|
Civil Registration or Statutory Registers[edit | edit source]
For details on information found in statutory registers and other methods of searching them, see Scotland Statutory Registers.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Click here to see detailed town plans, c. 1847-1895
Poorhouse Records[edit | edit source]
- Dunbarton Combination
Societies[edit | edit source]
Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society
Unit 13, 32 Mansfield Street
Glasgow G11 5QP
Tel. +44 (0) 141 339 8303
Scottish Genealogy Society
15 Victoria Terrace
Phone-0131 220 3677
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Dumbartonshire Resources and help pages on RootsChat Dunbartonshire Resources and help pages. (Free).
[Return to county list.]