Derby All Saints, Derbyshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:24, 2 July 2013 by DunnPB (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

England Gotoarrow.png Derbyshire Gotoarrow.png Derbyshire Parishes Gotoarrow.png Derby All Saints

Derby All Saints (Derby Cathedral) Debyshire.jpg

Parish History[edit | edit source]

DERBY, a borough and market-town, possessing separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, of which it is the capital, 16 miles (W.) from Nottingham, 27 miles (N. W.) from Leicester, and 126 (N. W.) from London, on the river Derwent, and on the high road to Manchester. The town comprises the parishes of All Saints, St. Werburgh, St. Alkmund, St. Peter and St. Michael, .[1].


DERBY, a borough and market-town, possessing separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, of which it is the capital, 16miles (W.) from Nottingham, 27 miles (N. W.) from Leicester, and on the high road to Manchester, and, including parts of certain parishes which extend beyond the limits of the borough.

The town comprises the parishes of:

  • All Saints - 1558
  •    Codnor - 1843 (partly in Heanor and Pentrich par.)
  • St Werburgh - 1562
  •    St Luke Chapel - 1868
  • St Alkmund - 1538
  •    Darley - by 1819
  •    Little Eaton - 1738
  •    St Paul's - 1844
  • St Peter - 1558
  •    Litchurch Chapel - 1863
  •    Normanton Chapelry - 1840
  •    St Andrews Chapelry- 1864
  •    St James Chapelry - 1867
  • St Michael's - 1559
  •    Alvaston - 1614
  •    Boulton - 1662
  •    Christ Church - 1850
  •    Trinity Church - 1836


St Alkmund's is a vicarage not in charge; the old church was taken down, and a new one commenced in the beginning of 1844 on an enlarged scale. The late church is supposed to have been originally founded early in the ninth century. The chapelries of Little Eaton and Darley are in St Alkmund parish, though outside the limits of the borough; and a church district named St Paul's was also endowed in St Alkmund's Parish in 1844 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living of St. Peter's is a discharged vicarage, with that of Normanton (chapelry) annexed. The parochial church is ancient, but of uncertain date. Trinity Church, in the parish, erected in 1836. The parish also includes the chapel of Boulton. The living of St. Werburgh's is a discharged vicarage. The original church of St. Werburgh is supposed to have been built prior to the Conquest. Being situated near Mark-Eaton brook, its foundation was injured by occasional floods; so that in 1601 the tower fell, and within a century afterwards, the church having become ruinous, the present edifice was erected. A chapel dedicated to St. John has been erected (by 1848). The chapel of Alvaston is in St. Michael's parish. The new edifice of Christchurch, Derby, was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in January 1844. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. The Roman Catholics have also built a handsome structure as a residence for the Sisters of Mercy, and for a chapel and schools. A general cemetery was opened in 1843.

The union workhouse is situated in Litchurch, in that portion of the parish of St.Peter which is without the borough. Remains of St. Mary's chapel, supposed to have been the church of St Mary given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of Burton, still exist: the chapel, in the time of Charles II., was used by the Presbyterians, but was subsequently converted into small tenements. [2]

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Derby All Saints (Derby Cathedral) Irongate included the chapelry of Quarndon, Derbyshire  until 1821

Part of this parish was added to the Parish of Derby St John, Derbyshire in 1847. It became Derby Cathedral in 1927 and absorbed into the parish in 1977 Derby St Michael, Derbyshire

Derbyshire Record Office reference D 3372 has deposited registers Bap 1558-1947 Mar 1558-1945 Burials 1558-1855 Banns 1754-1823, 1854-1914 

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]

Census records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Derby Poor Law Union, Derbyshire

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites[edit | edit source]

Reference[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 30 June 2013.
  2. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 02 July 2013.

Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.