Debenham, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Debenham, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Bosmere and Claydon|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
DEBENHAM, a small town and a parish in Bosmere district, Suffolk. The town stands on the side of a hill, near the source of the river Deben, 7 miles W of Framlingham r. station, and 8 NNE of Needham-Market. There are an Independent chapel.
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Debenham and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Debenham, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Debenham, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FREG||1675-1695, 1698-1838||1655-1690, 1700-1823||1720-1744, 1761-1819|
Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
Transcribed Records from Church records, Probates, etc. courtesy of Suzie Morley and Debenham One Place Study
There are census records available for Debenham from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Debenham, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Surnames from Debenham: Courtesy of Suzie Morley
Maps and GazetteersEdit
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Debenham - One Place Study by Suzie Morley
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 30 December 2015.
- 'Suffolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 December 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.