Cumbria Archive Centers
Carlisle Archive and Local Studies Centre
Lady Gillford's House
Petteril Bank Rd
Carlisle, Cumbria CA1 3AJ UK
Telephone: 01228 227 284
Website: Carlisle Archive
- Original documents from the twelfth century to the present day, relating to the part of the historic county of Cumberland which is north of the River Derwent. The areas around Carlisle, Keswick, Penrith and Maryport are amongst those for which material is available.
Whitehaven Archive and Local Studies Centre
Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7NL UK
Telephone: 01946 506 420
Website: Whitehaven Archive
- Original historical documents dating from the twelfth century to the present day relating to the area of West Cumbria bounded by the River Derwent in the North and the River Duddon in the South. The areas around Workington, Cockermouth, and Whitehaven are amongst those for which material is available.
- The Local Studies Library contains an important collection of books, illustrations, journals, reports and other printed and original materials relating to all aspects of life in Whitehaven and West Cumbria up to the present day.
11 Globe Lane
Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8NX UK
Telephone 01228 606060
Website: Cumbria Libraries
- The Carlisle Library is located within the Lanes, a pedestrian shopping area about half a mile from the Castle. It's a modern, well equipped facility with good general holdings. They have microfilm census returns for most of the available years, and they are adding additional film readers. Most of the interesting material is not on open shelves but can be asked for at the 2nd floor desk across from the microfilm readers.
Tullie House Museum
Tullie House Museum
Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8TP UK
Telephone: 01228 618718
Website: Tullie House Museum
- The Tullie House is a museum and art gallery with an emphasis on the area's Roman and turbulent border history. If your family was involved with the reivers, it's worth a visit. It is immediately across from the Castle and they also have a postal research service which seems to specialize in researching reivers and outlaws.
For a long list of Cumbria museums, go to List of museums in Cumbria in Wikipedia.