Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Crittenden County, Kentucky ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for John J. Crittenden. The County is located in the east area of the state.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Crittenden County, Kentucky Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1865, 1870--Disasters destroyed most records.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
County Pronunciation[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Crittenden Co., KY Bible Records, KyGenWeb
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites have additional information on Crittenden county cemeteries.
- Interment.net, Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Ken Gilkey list of Crittenden Co., KY Cemeteries
- Crittenden Co., Unmarked Burials, KYGenWeb
Census Records[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
- Crittenden Co. KY Court Minutes Records 1852-1860
- Crittenden Co. KY Deeds 1841-1901
- Crittenden Co. KY Deeds 1847-1857
- Crittenden Co. KY Court Records 1852-1860
- Crittenden Co. Court Excerpts 1862
- Crittenden Court Records 1871-1884
Directories[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
African Americans[edit | edit source]
- The KY African American Griots Project
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- Sandi Gorin's Tips, Hangings in Kentucky 1792-1900
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
- [Asher] Coldiron, Kara Lee. Asher, a Partial Genealogy. Lincoln, Neb.: K.L. Coldiron, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 As35ck
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Cruce] Kidwiler, Pauline Cruce. Cruce Family Genealogical Records, 1829-1988 George Washington Cruce (1829-1912) on Down to 1988 as Nearly as Possible. MSS. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1320816 Item 7
- [Lynn] Taylor, Jessie Pope. Lynn, 1788-2000. Salem, Ky.: J.P. Taylor, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 L993; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Newcom] Newcom, Randall Hershel. The Family of Newton N. Newcom. Elizabethtown, Ky.: R.H. Newcom, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6509
- [Rawlins] Talley, Gloria Jean and Leonard Carey Rawlins. One Family: Rawlings, Rawlins, Rollins. Newburgh, Ind.: First Cousins Family Reunion, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 R199tg
- [Shewmaker] Isakson, Oyjdal Shewmaker Marvel. Shewmaker-Shoemaker, Livingston and Crittenden County, Kentucky. Hobart, Ind.: Isakson, 1967. FHL Film 1320527 Item 8; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Tackwell] Koetting, Patricia G. Lowery and Jerome D. Koetting. Tackwell Genealogy. Rio Rancho, N. Mex.: J.D. and P.G. Koetting, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 T119k; digital version at Family History Archives.
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Old Fire Maps Crittenden Co., KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Revolutionary War[edit | edit source]
- Crittenden Co. Rev. War Soldiers, KYGenWeb
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry— index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Richard P'Pool's data base for Crittenden Co., Civil War Soldiers Crittenden Co., KYGenWeb
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Army & Army Air Corps Casualties WWII Crittenden Co., Kentucky, USGenWeb Archives
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- The Crittenden Press History
- The Crittenden Press
- USNPL, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- World-Newspapers, Kentucky, Kentucky newspaper index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Footsteps Archives, KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Obituary Sources, KYGenWeb
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database, Compiled by Charles Browning.
- Kentucky Obituaries, USGenWeb
- Afrigeneas, African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot, Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times, Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including (Ancestry)
- Nashville Christian Advocate Death Abstracts
Other Records[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Postcards, USGenWeb
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records are held by the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977 for Caldwell, Henry, Hickman, Russell and Trimble counties. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774–1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry ($) — index and images
- 1833-1968 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1833-1968) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
School Records[edit | edit source]
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records, Ancestry ($)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Crittenden County Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Crittenden County Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1800-1910 - Delayed Births from late 1800-1910
- 1839-1960 - Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 at FamilySearch
- 1851-1907 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1851-1907. Batch C517261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1875 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1873-1875. Batch C517263 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517262 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1911-1912 - Searchable KY Birth Index
- 1911-1930 - Crittenden Co. Births 1911-1930
- 1911-1999 Kentucky Births, 1911-1999 at MyHeritage ($) — index
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1609-2016 - Kentucky, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1785-1979 - Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979 at FamilySearch
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1861 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1857-1868 - Some Crittenden County Ky. marriage Records 1857-1868 Some mg recs. 1905-1942 Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- 1875 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517264 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517265 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1973-2000 - Searchable KY Marriage Records
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973-2000
- 1960-1993 Kentucky Marriages, 1960-1993 at MyHeritage ($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1843-1970 - Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970 at FamilySearch
- 1911-1965 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1965 at FamilySearch — index
- 1911-2000 - KY Death records 1911-2000
- 1911-2000 - Searchable KY Death Index
- 1900-1999 Kentucky Deaths, 1900-1999 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- Crittenden Co. Death Certs., KyGenWeb
- Crittenden Co. Unmarked Burials, KyGenWeb
Divorce[edit | edit source]
- 1973-1993 - Kentucky Divorces 1973-1993, University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Crittenden County Kentucky Library
Museums[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
- Crittenden County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 61
Marion, KY 42064
- Crittenden County Historical Society, Inc.
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Crittenden County KYGenWeb
- Crittenden County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Crittenden County, KYGenWeb
- Linkpendium has links to many other sites. It is organized by subjects. Simply click on the name of the site you would like explore.
- Crittenden County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- FamilySearch Catalog . Free - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kentucky. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Crittenden County, Kentucky" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crittenden_County,_Kentucky."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crittenden County, Kentucky. Page 268-276 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 251-254.
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Crittenden County, Kentucky," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crittenden_County,_Kentucky, accessed 9 August 2018.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.