Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising
Location of These Probate Records
[edit | edit source]
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
The Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising held jurisdiction over the following parishes in County Norfolk:
Castle Rising, Roydon, North Wootton and South Wootton.
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Probate records of the Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising commence from as early as 1639 to1720.
Starting Your Search in Indexes[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
Indexes[edit | edit source]
The the Court of the Peculiar of Caste Rising probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Online indexes[edit | edit source]
A general will index for this probate court covering much of the county is available online for the years 1800-1857. More years are being added so re-visit their website regularly.
Also, Ancestry.co.uk has indexed some probate records abstracts as well.
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Norfolk Record Office has indexed a considerable number of the wills from this court jurisdiction and this index is available in the following publication:
- Index of wills proved in the Norfolk Archdeaconry Court, compiled by Patrick Palgrave-Moore in FHL book call #942.61 B4m vol. 16. These are probate indexes for the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich 1416-1857.
Original Handwritten Indexes[edit | edit source]
Calendars exist from 1600-1857 for wills. These are available on microfilm for this court at the Family History Library (see below). You can access these records at the Norfolk Record Office at the above address. Or these are accessible at the Family History Library or through its Family History Centers worldwide.
Searching for probates in this court.[edit | edit source]
REGISTERED COPY WILLS
ADMINISTRATION ACT BOOKS