Congleton St Stephen, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Congleton St Stephen, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Congleton St Stephen, Cheshire|
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Congleton|
|Parish registers: 1844|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CONGLETON, is an incorporated market-town, a chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Astbury, having a separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter. At Congleton Moss, a church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity it was erected in 1845. Two districts or ecclesiastical parishes have been formed under Sir Robert Peel's act: in the one, St. Stephen's district, a chapel has been purchased from the dissenters, in the other, St. James', a church. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics. 
Congleton St Stephen was formed as separate parish (a chapelry) in 1845 from Congleton St Peter and formed at similar period to St James.
St. Stephen's church consists of nave, chancel, aisles, bell-turret, and vestry, in the early decorated style, and was built in 1860.
Other closely associated chapelries to St Stephen's and also lying within Astbury ancient parish included the chapelries of Congleton St Peter and St James, Mossley Holy Trinity, Buglawton, Rode, Smallwood, and Somerford; together with several places of worship for dissenters, in the parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Congleton St Stephen chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Congleton St Stephen Chapelry (1844) Online Records|
|FS BT'S|| NONE
Title Parish registers of St. Stephen's Church, Congleton, 1844-1958 An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search
St. Stephen's Church is one of three chapelries in Congleton township. The township is in Astbury Ancient parish. Cheshire Record Office call number: P 232/1/2.
|Baptisms, 1844-1860, 1896-1936 (filmed twice). Marriages, 1860-1926.||FHL BRITISH Film |
|Baptisms, 1860-1896.||FHL BRITISH Film |
2326898 Item 2
|Baptisms, 1860-1896 (another filming).||FHL BRITISH Film |
2356823 Item 3
|Marriages, 1926-1958. Burials, 1860-1932.||FHL BRITISH Film |
2197434 Items 1 - 4
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Refer to Congleton St Peter page.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Macclesfield (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Congleton St Stephen on GENUKI