Difference between revisions of "Colorado, United States Genealogy"
m (→Research Tools)
|Line 158:||Line 158:|
Revision as of 19:39, 10 December 2015
Guide to Colorado ancestry, genealogy, and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Colorado Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Welcome to Colorado,|
the Centennial State
Most pre-statehood settlers of Colorado began arriving at the time of the gold rush of 1858. They came from the northeastern and midwestern states, especially New York, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Some came from the New Mexico Territory, and a few settlers came from the southern states, the Pacific Coast, and from other countries including England, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Scotland, and Wales. Latter-day Saint settlements were made in the San Luis Valley in the 1870s and 1880s.
The Plains Indians of Colorado, including the Arapaho, the Cheyenne, the Kiowa, and the Comanche, had largely been removed to Indian Territory in Oklahoma by 1870. The Ute Indians living in western Colorado did not give up their lands to white settlement until after 1880, when most of them were moved to reservations in Utah.
|How to Find Information about Colorado Ancestors|
Counties[edit | edit source]
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Arapahoe (KS) | Broderick (KS) | Carbonate | El Paso (KS) | Fremont (KS) | Greenwood | Guadalupe | Montana (KS) | Mora (NM) | North Park | Oro (KS) | Peketon (KS) | Taos (NM) | Uncompahgre | Washington (KS old)
Major Repositories[edit | edit source]
Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
Research Tools[edit | edit source]
- Colorado State and County Genealogy Records Resources
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Colorado GenWeb Project has a wealth of information.
- USGenWeb Archives Project for Colorado, collected genealogical information. Also has search page
- Colorado Trails to the Past - free online genealogical & historical information
- USGenNet Index for Colorado, links to various genealogical sites/organization for Colorado.
- Access Genealogy: Colorado Genealogy has a wealth of information.
- Roots-L Colorado Resources - Colorado Genealogical and Historical Resources on the Net
- Family History 101 - State of Genealogy, Family History, Ancestry and Records Resources
- Family History 101 Colorado - State of Colorado Genealogy, Family History, Ancestry and Records Resources
- Cyndi's List of Genealogical Sites on the Internet for Colorado
- BYU Research Outline for Colorado - downloads PDF file.
- FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
- Colorado State Census, 1885 - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Colorado Statewide Marriage Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
Obtain additional help[edit | edit source]
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Help with the Colorado Wiki pages[edit | edit source]
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need willing volunteers. You can help:
- Expand county articles
- Check links on pages
- ...and more
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here: