Chiddingstone, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Chiddingstone, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Chiddingstone St Mary Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Sevenoaks|
|Parish registers: 1565|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHIDDINGSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Somerden, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 8 miles SSW from Seven-Oaks. 
Chiddingstone is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks district of Kent. The civil parish includes Chiddingstone Causeway Chiddingstone Wikipedia
Chiddingstone St Mary is an Ancient Parish which included Chiddingstone Hoath and Little Chiddingstone in the parish boundary. A map of the parish boundary showing both churches is available at A church near you
The Church of St Mary High Street Chiddingstone has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
See Sevenoaks Registration District 1837-1941
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Chiddingstone parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Chiddingstone Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1813-1873||1755-1911; 1755-1900 (banns)||1813-1881|
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- Penshurst Poor Law Union,Kent until 1836
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within reach of the Sevenoaks district, located adjacent to Orpington Station.
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.