Castle Church, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Castle Church, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Castle Church, Staffordshire|
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Cheadle|
|Parish registers: 1567|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1680|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CASTLE-CHURCH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, union,and S. division of the county, of Stafford, 1 mile(S. W.) from Stafford with the townships of Forebridge, and Rickerscote with Burton. 
Castle Church; With Some Account of Its Parish and Manor and of Its Escheat, Tempore Henry VIII. Digitized by Internet Archive - free.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Castle Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|CASTLE CHURCH PARISH (1567) Online Records|
Stafford Castle Church St Mary was formed in 1573 as a former chapelry of Stafford St Mary
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1567-1971 Mar 1567-1962 Bur 1573-1948
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1680-1868 Mar 1680-1856 Bur 1680-1868 missing 1853, 1857-1860 Bap. Bur
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Castle Church, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 526-531. Date accessed: 18 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8