Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
|Carmarthenshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Carmarthenshire County, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Historic Carmarthenshire[edit | edit source]
Carmarthenshire (Welsh: Sir Gaerfyrddin) was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was a maritime county, bounded to the south by the Bristol Channel, to the west by Pembrokeshire, to the north by Cardiganshire, and to the east by Breconshire and Glamorgan.
The administrative county of Carmarthenshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888. The county was governed by an elected county council, who took over the functions of the Quarter Sessions courts. The county town was Carmarthen and other main towns were Llanelli and Ammanford.
Chapman Code: CMN
1974-1996 Dyfed[edit | edit source]
|Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Carmarthenshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. Carmarthenshire became part of the newly formed county of Dyfed covering the whole of west Wales, with Carmarthen retaining its status as county town. |}|
Modern Carmarthenshire[edit | edit source]
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Dyfed was abolished on April 1, 1996 and the present-day county of Carmarthenshire was created. This covers substantially the same area as the historic county of Carmarthenshire. However, in 2003, the community of Clunderwen was transferred to neighbouring Pembrokeshire. The county town is Carmarthen.
Parishes[edit | edit source]
- See a list of Parishes of Historic Carmarthenshire with links to their pages.
- Interactive map of Carmarthenshire Parishes.
Hundreds[edit | edit source]
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1542-1911 - Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Topics[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Carmarthenshire Resources and Help pages RootsChat Carmarthenshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Carmarthenshire Archive Service
- Carmarthenshire War Memorials
- 1885 County Map: Courtesy of London Ancestor
- Dyfed Family History Society
- Rootsweb Carnarthenshire Message Boards