Difference between revisions of "Blackfordby, Leicestershire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replace - "John Marius Wilson's" to "John Marius Wilson,")
m (Text replacement - "{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}" to "")
 
(3 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 25: Line 25:
 
Blackfordby deposited parish Registers at the Leicester Record office Blackfordby Bap 1653 - 1973 Marr 1654 - 1738, 1876 - 1980 (1993) Bur 1653 - 1942<br><br>
 
Blackfordby deposited parish Registers at the Leicester Record office Blackfordby Bap 1653 - 1973 Marr 1654 - 1738, 1876 - 1980 (1993) Bur 1653 - 1942<br><br>
  
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
 
  
 
==== Non-Conformist Churches  ====
 
==== Non-Conformist Churches  ====
Line 50: Line 50:
 
== Websites ==
 
== Websites ==
  
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
+
  
[[Category:Leicestershire]]
+
[[Category:Leicestershire Parishes]]

Latest revision as of 15:41, 6 January 2018

Blackfordby St Margaret of Antioch

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Blackfordby St Margaret of Antioch was originally  a parochial chapelry in the parishes of Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire and Seal, Leicestershire. Later it was formed as parish churhc in The Diocese of Leicester.

BLACKFORDBY, a chapelry, in the parishes of Ashby-De-La-Zouch and Seal, union of Ashby, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 2¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Ashby; containing 478 inhabitants. It comprises 530 acres, principally pasture land. The Ashby canal crosses the Wolds south of this place. The chapel is dedicated to St. Margaret. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is supported by subscription.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 270-275. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50805 Date accessed: 12 April 2011.

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackfordby like this:

BLACKFORDBY, a chapelry in Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Seal parishes, Leicester; 2 miles NW of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post Town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1,117. Real property, £3,064. Pop., 645. Houses, 129. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records[edit | edit source]

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Blackfordby deposited parish Registers at the Leicester Record office Blackfordby Bap 1653 - 1973 Marr 1654 - 1738, 1876 - 1980 (1993) Bur 1653 - 1942


Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]

Census records[edit | edit source]

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Ashby de la Zouch Poor Law Union, Leicestershire

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]