Bengeo, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Bengeo, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Hertford|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Bengo (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union,hundred, and county of Hertford, it is 1 mile (N.N.E.) from Hertford.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bengeo St Leonard parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BENGEO PARISH Online Records|
Bengeo Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bengeo Christ Church Online Records|
Bengeo St Michael and All Angels parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bengeo St Michael and All Angels Church Online Records|
Port Vale Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Port Vale Chapel Online Records|
Tonwell Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tonwell Chapel Online Records|
Waterford registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Waterford Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Bengeo on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 5 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013. Described as 'Bengeo St Leonard.'