Difference between revisions of "Bawdeswell, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
 +
 +
[[Image:Bawdeswell_All_Saints.JPG|thumb|right|Bawdeeswell]]
 +
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Bawdeswell All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Sparham denaery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>
+
Bawdeswell All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
 +
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Mitford 1837-1938
+
Mitford 1837-1938  
  
East Dereham 1939-1974<br>
+
East Dereham 1939-1974<br>  
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 17: Line 21:
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 155<br>
+
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 155<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 29: Line 33:
 
C/GP 14<br>Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.<br>Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates, 6 June 1979 (numbered C/GP 14/1a (part)), 3 February 1984 (numbered C/GP 14/136), 21 July 1989 (numbered C/GP 14/137), 18 May 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/47-49, 82, 101, 104 110-113), 18 March 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/105), and 15 August 1978 (numbered C/GP 14/135). <br>  
 
C/GP 14<br>Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.<br>Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates, 6 June 1979 (numbered C/GP 14/1a (part)), 3 February 1984 (numbered C/GP 14/136), 21 July 1989 (numbered C/GP 14/137), 18 May 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/47-49, 82, 101, 104 110-113), 18 March 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/105), and 15 August 1978 (numbered C/GP 14/135). <br>  
  
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]
+
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]  
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
 +
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 +
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 +
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 +
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/bawdeswell-all-saints/ for information about the parish<br>  
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/bawdeswell-all-saints/ for information about the parish<br>  
  
http://www.bawdeswell.net/friendsofthechurch/ Friends of Bawdeswell Church site<br>
+
http://www.bawdeswell.net/friendsofthechurch/ Friends of Bawdeswell Church site<br>  
  
http://www.bawdeswell.net/rtwebsite/villages/Bawdeswell/Baw%20Ch/newguide07/page1.html Guide to the church<br>
+
http://www.bawdeswell.net/rtwebsite/villages/Bawdeswell/Baw%20Ch/newguide07/page1.html Guide to the church<br>  
  
http://www.cvma.ac.uk/publications/digital/norfolk/sites/bawdeswell/sources.html for stained glass<br>
+
http://www.cvma.ac.uk/publications/digital/norfolk/sites/bawdeswell/sources.html for stained glass<br>  
  
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-470619-church-of-all-saints-bawdeswell/map British History online<br>
+
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-470619-church-of-all-saints-bawdeswell/map British History online<br>  
  
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/bawdeswell.htm for photos and transcripts Norfolk Baptisms project<br>
+
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/bawdeswell.htm for photos and transcripts Norfolk Baptisms project<br>  
  
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bawdeswell/bawdeswell.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
+
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bawdeswell/bawdeswell.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 02:40, 24 June 2010

England Genealogy  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk, England Genealogy

Bawdeeswell

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Bawdeswell All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Mitford 1837-1938

East Dereham 1939-1974

Church records[edit | edit source]

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 155

Census records[edit | edit source]

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

C/GP 14
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates, 6 June 1979 (numbered C/GP 14/1a (part)), 3 February 1984 (numbered C/GP 14/136), 21 July 1989 (numbered C/GP 14/137), 18 May 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/47-49, 82, 101, 104 110-113), 18 March 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/105), and 15 August 1978 (numbered C/GP 14/135).

Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys

Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites[edit | edit source]

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/bawdeswell-all-saints/ for information about the parish

http://www.bawdeswell.net/friendsofthechurch/ Friends of Bawdeswell Church site

http://www.bawdeswell.net/rtwebsite/villages/Bawdeswell/Baw%20Ch/newguide07/page1.html Guide to the church

http://www.cvma.ac.uk/publications/digital/norfolk/sites/bawdeswell/sources.html for stained glass

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-470619-church-of-all-saints-bawdeswell/map British History online

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/bawdeswell.htm for photos and transcripts Norfolk Baptisms project

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bawdeswell/bawdeswell.htm Norfolk Churches website