Barsham, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Barsham, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wangford|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BARSHAM, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk near the river Waveney, 2 miles W by S of Beccles railway station.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Barsham was in Wangford district. To search an index of Wangford district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article provides more details about these records. Civil Registration began in 1837.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Barsham Online Parish Records|
|Parish Registers - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Suffolk ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England BMD-Suffolk ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Suffolk ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Suffolk ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
There are census records available for Barsham from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Barsham Census in the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Adapted. Date accessed: 16 September 2013.