Bad River Indian Agency (Wisconsin)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Bad River Agency, located in Odanah, Wisconsin, existed from at least 1894 to 1926.
Agents and Appointment Date[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Some of the administrative and financial records of the Bad River Agency are in the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Chicago. Among these records are:
- Census rolls, 1897-1933
- Allotment schedules, 1914-1920
- School census, 1915-1926
- School attendance cards, 1923-1926
Some financial accounts for as late as 1958 exist in the Great Lakes Regional Archives for this agency.
References[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Holdings of Great Lakes Region of NARA in Chicago, Record Group 75 Available online
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online