Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Linz, Upper Austria, Austria|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Upper Austria Coat of Arms|
|Location of Linz, Upper Austria, Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
|Title in the Language:||Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz, ausgewählte Bestände des Landesarchivs 1485-1894|
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes miscellaneous city records in upper Austria, Linz, from 1485-1894. The collection will include records such as court records, orphan records, marriage contracts, citizenship records, and account books. The original records are located in the Upper Austrian State Archives in Linz, Austria.
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records
These records are written in German. For help reading them see:
- Germany Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of Applicant
- Age of Applicant
- Date of Birth
- Place of Origin
- Occupation of Applicant
- Date and Place of Issue
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
Search the Index
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records, 1485-1894. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try searching by surname only
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Remember that spelling was generally not standardized until the early part of the 20th century
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.