To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Aspull St Elizabeth of Hungary, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:23, 9 January 2016 by Hanna5974 (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "Category:Lancashire" to "Category:Lancashire Parishes")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

History[edit | edit source]

Aspull St Elizabeth of Hungary was created as an ecclesiastical parish from Haigh and Aspull, Lancashire Ecclesiastical Parish.

The earliest notice of Aspull is that contained in the survey of 1212, when, as one plough-land, it formed part of the Childwall fee held by Richard son of Robert de Lathom, under the lord of Manchester. The fee was a composite one of 6½ plough-lands (of which Aspull formed one), held chiefly by Richard de Lathom, and partly by Roger de Samlesbury and Alexander de Harwood.

In 1302 Richard de Ince, as son and heir of Henry de Sefton, and Adam de Hindley, were found to hold Aspull, as the eighth part of a knight's fee, directly of Thomas Grelley. From this time the lordship has been held with the adjacent Ince by the families of Ince and Gerard in succession; until Aspull was sold to the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, lord of Haigh.

Hindley Hall, in Aspull, the residence of the Hindleys, became the property of James, a younger son of Robert Dukinfield of Cheshire. In the 18th century it was acquired by the Leighs of Whitley Hall, Wigan, and Sir Robert Holt Leigh lived here till his death in 1843. His estates then passed for life to his cousin Thomas Pemberton, who took the name of Leigh, and made Hindley Hall his residence; he was raised to the peerage as Baron Kingsdown in 1858.

The hearth tax roll of 1666 shows that 135 hearths were charged. The most considerable houses were those of Richard Green, nine hearths; Peter Orrell and James Dukinfield, eight each; Major Rigby and Thomas Molyneux, seven each; and Edward Gleast, six.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church was built in 1882 and primarily funded by Roger Leigh.  It is believed the church was named after St. Elizabeth in honor of Leigh's wife, Elizabeth Blackwell, who died two years after the church was completed.  The patronage is vested in trustees.

Aspull St Elizabeth Lancashire contributor Alexander P Kapp.jpg



Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records[edit | edit source]

Parish registers for St. Elizabeth's Church, Aspull, 1868-1900 Microfilm of original records in the Wigan Record Office, Leigh, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, England.
St. Elizabeth's Church was originally in the parish of Wigan and was referred to as Haigh and Aspull. The chapel was constituted in 1838. In 1868 it was made a separate parish.

Content
Film
Parish registers
FHL BRITISH Film
1885720


Census records[edit | edit source]


Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Wigan Poor Law Union


Probate records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.