Ashwicken, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Ashwicken, Norfolk family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1700|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ASHWICKEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Lynn.
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Freebridge Lynn
Church records[edit | edit source]
Ashwicken, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ashwicken, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library. Registers since 1717 had not been deposited with the Norfolk Record Office and are with the incumbent in the parish.
A search of the Family History Library Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
Archdeacons transcripts, 1600-1812 Contains records for Leziate. Leziate was united with Ashwicken.
|Archdeacons Transcripts Contents||FHL Film|
|Baptisms 1600-1606, 1623-1636, 1668-1812. Marriages 1600-1602, 1625-1630, 1668-1812 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1636, 1668-1812.||BRITISH 1526742 Item 4|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?FreebridgeLynn/FreebridgeLynn.shtml
- Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 96-100. Date accessed: 28 Aug. 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.