Difference between revisions of "Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk Genealogy"
(→Poor Law Unions: fixed link)
(→Poor Law Unions: fixed link)
Latest revision as of 17:28, 12 September 2020
Guide to Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1562|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ASHMANHAUGH (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Tunstead and Happing, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ASHMANHAUGH PARISH (1562) Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1562-1747, 1750-1812||Undefined||1562-1747, 1750-1836, 1838-1901||Undefined||1562-1747, 1750-1812|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 282/1-5
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Ashmanaugh.htm transcript of 1891 census
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Ashmanhaugh on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 88-90. Date accessed: 28 August 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Ashmanhaugh', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/ashmanhaugh-st-swithin/ Click for information about the history of the church and parish.
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/ashmanhaugh/ashmanhaugh.htm Click for Norfolk Churches website