Anglesey, Wales Genealogy
|Anglesey Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Anglesey County, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Historic Anglesey[edit | edit source]
(Welsh: Sir Fôn or Môn) was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales.
It is an island in the Irish Sea, separated from mainland Wales by the Menai Strait.
The county was created under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and consisted of the cantrefi (hundreds) of Aberffraw; Rhosyr and Cemais.
Motto: Môn Mam Cymru (English: Anglesey, Mother of Wales)
Chapman Code: AGY
1974-1996 Gwynedd[edit | edit source]
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Anglesey were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. Anglesey became part of the newly formed county of Gwynedd, which covered the whole of north-west Wales.
Modern Anglesey[edit | edit source]
Following further local government reorganisation the county of Gwynedd was re-structured, and on April 1, 1996 the county status of Anglesey was restored.
The county was later renamed, the Isle of Anglesey.
Parishes[edit | edit source]
- See a list of the parishes in Anglesey with links to their pages.
- Interactive map of Anglesey Parishes.
Online Parish Records
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Hundreds[edit | edit source]
Topics[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Anglesey Resources and Help pages RootsChat Anglesey Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- Anglesey Churches
- Amlwch and district Census 1841-1901
- Anglesey Union Workhouse 1881 Census
- Anglesey Calvinistic Methodist Births/Baptisms pre-1837
- Holyhead Wesleyan Methodist Births/Baptisms 1842-1890
- Beaumaris Circuit Wesleyan Methodist Births/Baptisms
- Holyhead Circuit Wesleyan Methodist Births/Baptisms 1842-1890
- Rootsweb Anglesey board
- Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index