Difference between revisions of "Angelina County, Texas Genealogy"
m (added link for cemeteries in FamilySearch Places)
m (→Record Loss: corrected link)
|Line 90:||Line 90:|
==== Record Loss ====
==== Record Loss ====
'''1891--'''Angelina County Courthouse at Homer burned on November 19, 1891. Many of the county records - including those in the assessor's office and the justice of the peace office were destroyed. <ref>GenDisasters.com - Homer, TX Courthouse Fire, Nov 1891 http://
'''1891--'''Angelina County Courthouse at Homer burned on November 19, 1891. Many of the county records - including those in the assessor's office and the justice of the peace office were destroyed. <ref>GenDisasters.com - Homer, TX Courthouse Fire, Nov 1891 http://.gendisasters.com/texas/7309/homer-tx-courthouse-fire-nov-1891</ref>
== Places/Localities ==
== Places/Localities ==
Latest revision as of 13:39, 14 September 2020
Guide to Angelina County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Angelina County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas, United States Genealogy
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 22, 1846|
|Address||Angelina County Courthouse|
PO Box 908
Lufkin, TX 75902-0908
Phone: 936.634.8339 Angelina County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for a Hasinai Native American woman who assisted early Spanish missionaries and was named Angelina by them. The County is located in the east-central area of the state.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Clerk has some birth records from 1875, death records
from 1903, marriage, probate and land records from 1846;
District Clerk has divorce records; County Clerk and District
Court have court records from 1920
P.O. Box 908
P.O. Box 908
Angelina County, Texas Record Dates[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1846--Angelina County was created April 22, 1846 from Nacogdoches County.
Angelina is named for a Hainai Native American woman who assisted early Spanish missionaries and was named Angelina by them.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1891--Angelina County Courthouse at Homer burned on November 19, 1891. Many of the county records - including those in the assessor's office and the justice of the peace office were destroyed. 
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - 1870 Texas, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1870 (images) - FamilySearch
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|FindAGrave||Family History Library||FindAGrave|
|TX Gravestones||WorldCat||Tombstone Project|
|Billion Graves (name)||Cemeteries of TX|
|USGW Archives||Texas Cemeteries|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
- Angelina County Area Churches - listing of churches in the area
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- Land Survey Abstract Indices of the Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Family Land Heritage Registry First Edition - USGenWeb Archives Project
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1906 - 1989 Texas, Naturalization Records, 1906-1989 — index and images
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Angelina County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Texas Land Survey Maps for Angelina County, Texas Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1914 Map of Angelina, Gregg, Harrison, Cherokee, Houston, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith & Trinity at www.rootsweb.com
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Map of Angelina County - Library of Congress
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
Military[edit | edit source]
Mexican-American War[edit | edit source]
- 1845 - 1848 US American Volunteer Soldiers Mexican War 1845-1848 at Ancestry.com — index $
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865Texas, Civil War Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 7th Texas Cavalry
- Civil War Pension Confederate Pension Applications On file at the Texas State Library and Archives for Angelina County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families of Angelina County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Civil War Muster Rolls - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1838 - 1900 Texas Muster Roll Index Cards 1838-1900 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- WWII Casualties Army and Airforce - Access Genealogy
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Angelina County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records of Texas, United States Genealogy have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1990 Texas Probate Records 1800-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- Angelina County Clerk - access to probate records
- 1800 – 2000 Texas Wills and Probate Records 1800-2000 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
- 1846-1910 Texas, County Tax Rolls 1846-1910 at findmypast ($) — index and images
Angelina County Tax Assessor - property taxes
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Angelina County Clerk - access to marriage records, birth certificates, death certificates and wills
Birth[edit | edit source]
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- 1840 - 1981 Texas Births and Christenings 1840-1981 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1903 - 1935 Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- 1903 - 1997 Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index)- FamilySearch
- 1903 - 1997 Texas Birth Index 1903-1997 (index and Images) - Ancestry ($)
- 1926-1995 Texas Births, 1926 - 1995 at MyHeritage ($) — index
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- 1802 - 2010 - Texas, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1814 - 1909 and 1966 - 2011 Texas Marriage Collection 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Angelina County Marriages - TXGenWeb
- 1837 - 1965 - Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1965 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1837 - 1973 - Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1977 - Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1977 Texas Select County Marriage Index 1837-1977 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1966 - 2010 Texas Marriages, 1966-2010 - FamilySearch record collection
- 1966-2016 Texas Marriages and Divorces at MyHeritage ($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1890 - 1976 Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 (with images)
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- 1903 - 1973 Texas Deaths and Burials 1903-1973 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1903 - 1982 Texas Death Certificates 1903-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1903 - 2000 Texas Death Index, 1903-2000 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1964 - 1998 Texas Death Index, 1964-1998 (no images) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- 1977 - 1986 Texas Deaths 1977-1986 at FamilySearch.org — index
Divorce[edit | edit source]
- 1968 - 2010 Texas Divorce Index 1968-2010 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968 - 2011 Texas Divorces 1968-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1966-2016 Texas Marriages and Divorces at MyHeritage ($) — index
Societies and Libraries [edit | edit source]
Angelina County Genealogical Society
PO Box 150631
Lufkin, TX 75915-0631
- Kurth Memorial Library - Lufkin Texas
- Angelina County Genealogical Society
- Angelina County Historical Commission
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project - records from Angelina County
- Angelina County - TXGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Cyndi's List - Links to state and county resources
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Angelina County, Texas," in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelina_County,_Texas. accessed 24/07/2019
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Angelina County, Texas. Page 658 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Angelina County, Texas . Page 658-677 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 655-665.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Angelina County - Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hca03
- Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelina_County,_Texas
- GenDisasters.com - Homer, TX Courthouse Fire, Nov 1891 http://www.gendisasters.com/texas/7309/homer-tx-courthouse-fire-nov-1891
- Wikipedia contributors, "Angelina County, Texas," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelina_County,_Texas, accessed 26 March 2019.