Difference between revisions of "Alsager, Cheshire Genealogy"
(<A script created by the FamilySearch Wiki Engineering Team modified a link on this page so it will not break when the Family History Library Catalog changes in late December.>)
|Line 99:||Line 99:|
==== Census Records ====
==== Census Records ====
The 1841-1891 censuses of Alsager are on microfilm at the
The 1841-1891 censuses of Alsager are on microfilm at the 614430disp=Family History Libraryin Salt Lake City.
==== Probate records ====
==== Probate records ====
Revision as of 00:38, 7 January 2011
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Alsager Christ Church was bult as a chapel of ease for the Ancient parish of Barthomley.
The church was built in 1789–90 at the expense of three "Ladies of the Manor of Alsager", Mary, Margaret and Judith Alsager to a design by Thomas Stringer. It was a chapel of ease to St Bertoline's Church, Barthomley and became a parish church in 1946. To celebrate the centenary of the church a new organ was acquired and dedicated in 1889.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Here is a list of districts in which Alsager has been included since 1837, with years of inclusion.
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Alsagar was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Barthomley, St. Bertoline (C of E).
- Alsager, Christ Church (C of E). Built in 1789 as a chapel to Barthomley, and assigned to the township of Alsager in 1852, becoming a separate parish in 1946. Registers of Baptisms 1789–1889, Marriages 1852–1868 and Burials 1789–1908 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Alsager, St. Mary Magdalene (C of E). Built in 1898 as a new parish church for Alsager. Registers of Baptisms 1899–1986 and Marriages 1898–2003 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials here). Cheshire Record Office reference: P278/1-3, P278/3636/1-2, P278/4737/1.
- Bishop's transcripts for Christ Church in Alsager, 1789-1842, Cheshire Record Office reference: EDB 4.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search at FamilySearch.org.
Here is a list of Alsager parish records on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Parish Registers Content||Film|
|Baptisms, 1789-1889. Marriages, 1852-1868. Burials, 1789-1865.||BRITISH 1655851 Items 7-11|
|Burials, 1865-1908||BRITISH 2045909 Item 11|
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||Film|
|Baptisms, burials, 1789-1842||BRITISH 1595460 Item 1|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Alsager, St. Gabriel (Roman Catholic). Built in 1955.
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Chapel Lane/Hassall Road. Built in 1834, rebuilt in 1852.
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Crewe Road. Built in 1862, closed in 1969. .
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Wesley Place/Lawton Road. Built in 1869.
- Alsager, United Reformed Church (formerly Independent/Congregational). Built in 1877
- Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, baptisms 1838-1956. Localities include Sandbach, Sandbach Heath, Alsager, Elton, Bradwall, Smallwood, Warmingham, Betchton, Coppenhall, Odd Rode, Crewe, Congleton, Lawton, Nantwich, Biddulph, Ettiley Heath, Thurlwood, Rode Heath, Willaston, Sproston, Hassall, Haslington, and Elworth.
- Alsager Primitive Methodist, baptisms 1863-1967.
An index for Cheshire Non-conformist records is available online in Record Search at FamilySearch.org. It includes the Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Methodist Circuit baptisms.
Here is a list of parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Circuit,
|BRITISH 2299550 Item 7|
|Alsager Primitive Methodist,
|BRITISH 2299417 Item 14|
The following records are in the collection of The National Archives, Kew, London:
- Alsager, Chapel Lane Methodist Chapel, 1911-1968 Minutes, accounts. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 206.)
A chapel was built in Chapel Lane, now Hassall Road, by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1834. This became the Sunday School when the new chapel was built in 1852. Extent 11 files:
- Alsager, Crewe Road Methodist Chapel, 1863-1973. Registers, minutes, records related to the chapel buildings. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 207.) The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1862, closed in 1969 and subsequently sold. Extent 7 files. Access restricted for 50 years, accept registers: 
- Alsager Wesley Place Methodist Chapel, 1869-1973. Minutes, accounts, records related to the chapel and school buildings. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 208.) The chapel was built in Lawton Road by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1869. Extent 15 files. Access restricted for 50 years:
Census Records[edit | edit source]
The 1841-1891 censuses of Alsager are on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 58–59, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 95, ISBN 0 907768 18 0