All Hallows, London Wall, London Genealogy
London All Hallows London Wall ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|All Hallows, London Wall, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629-31; 1639-40; 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of London|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Church records
- 2.2 Census records
- 2.3 Civil Registration
- 2.4 Probate records
- 2.5 Cemetery
- 2.6 Records of the Poor
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
'All Hallows, London Wall, [parish register transcripts from 1559-1875] the church of, stands a little westward of Broad Street in London wall, whence it derives its name. It is a rectory, in the patronage of which was anciently in the prior and convent of the Holy Trinity, near Aldgate, who in 1335 presented it Thomas Richer De Sanston. At the dissolution of religious houses in the reign of Henry VIII, this church, with the priory to which it belonged, was surrendered to the crown, in whose gift the advowson still remains. It escaped the fire in 1666, but became latterly so ruinous that in 1765 the parishioners obtained an act of Parliament to pull it down and rebuild it; which they did... It is a plain substantial church, of brick and stone, with a well proportioned stone tower and cupola.'
In 1442, St Augustine Papey Parish united with All Hallows London Wall.
In 1589, All Hallows London Wall belonged to Aldgate Ward and/or Broad Street Ward. The parish name was also spelled "Allhallows" London Wall. The modern name of this parish is All Hallows on the Wall. It has also been known as Allhallows in the Wall.
1848 parish description:
Allhallows on the Wall with St. Augustine is a parish of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Crown. They are parishes within the poor-law union of the City of London.
The early registers have been published, but the book has yet to be digitized:
- Edward Basil Jupp and R. Hovenden, ed. The Registers of Christenings, Marriages and Burials of the Parish of Allhallows, London Wall, within the City of London, from the Year of Our Lord 1559 to 1675. Chiswick Press, 1878.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/139); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/144); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/217); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/220); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - Saint Androwes Undershafte and Al Hallowes in ye Wall Parishesat British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - Alhallowes Parisheat British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Broad Street Ward - St Peters the Poore & Alhalloes in the Wall Parishesat British History Online
- All Hallows, London Wall, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/489); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/511); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
- All Hallows, London Wall, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/556); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants ListEdit
1692-1932 Land TaxesEdit
1695 Inhabitants ListsEdit
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, All Hallows, London Wall, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, most residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury from the 1750s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
CemeteryEditCatalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Jupp and Hovenden's published a survey of monumental inscriptions in 1878 (see Church Records).
Find A Grave has started a page on burials at All Hallows on the Wall Church.
Records of the PoorEdit
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and GazetteersEdit
WebsitesEdit(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- All Hallows on the Wall (official website)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (All Hallows, London Wall Parish Church records)
- Sketch of All Hallows London Wall Parish Churchat London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London All Hallows London Wall')
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitized by Google Books.
- 'Sources: London parishes and chapels', A Survey of Documentary Sources for Property Holding in London before the Great Fire: London Record Society, 22 (1985), pp. 113-143. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64584 Date accessed: 03 January 2012.
- FamilySearch Digital Library at Family History Archives (see page 149)
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170 Adapted. Date accessed: 12 November 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1813 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P000851-P000852, C000853-C000854, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Batches M000851-M000852, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts (1559-1880).
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 April 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997), Vol. 2:25.
- "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.