28th US Colored Troops
Brief History[edit | edit source]
They was mustered in April 20, 1864. On April 25, six companies of the 28th left Indianapolis for Washington, D.C., where they were attached to the capital's defenses.The 28th was formally mustered out in Texas on November 28, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 660
- Company B - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 662
- Company C - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 664
- Company D - many men from Marion, Montgomery, Orange, Vigo, and Vanderburgh Counties - see Roster on page 666
- Company E - many men from Marion,Morgan, Jackson, Orange, Parke, Jefferson, Wayne, Vanderburgh, Knox, and Clark Counties and other states- see Roster on page 668
- Company F- many men from Posey, Jennings, Oragan, Jackson, Jay, Madison, Howard, and Fayette Counties - see Roster on page 671
- Company G - many men from Marion, Montgomery, Orange, Vigo, and Vanderburgh County and other states- see Roster on page 671
- Company H - many men from other states - see Roster on page 675
- Company I - many men from other states - see Roster on page 677
- Company K - many men from other states - see Roster on page 679
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 680
- Addition Recruits for Colored Troops - from all counties of Indiana - see Roster on page 683-693
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 28th US Colored Troops on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Mar 2011) Breif history of the 20th US Colored Troops.
- Wikipedia (accessed 23 Mar 2011) article on the 20th US Colored Troops
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana