28th US Colored Troops
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in September 19, 1862. Ordered to Chattanooga, Tennessee, till June, 1865. Mustered out June 28, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Twentieth Battery - many men from Marion,Porter, Hamilton, Kosciusko, Montgomery, Putnam, Jay, Decatur, Shelby, and Wayne Counties - see Roster on page 760-763
The Battery with their counties and their rosters are on the 20th Indiana Light Battery, on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 05 Feb 2011 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Breif history of the 20th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 20th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).