1st Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 1st Regiment was organized at Hartford, Connecticut and mustered in April 22, 1861. The regiment was mustered out of service at New Haven, July 31, 1861.
For more information about the 1st Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - History of the First Connecticut Volunteers - Connecticut Military Department
Companies in the 1st Infantry Regiment[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. Theis regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in the following counties:
Infantry Company C - Hartford County
Infantry Company D - New Haven County
Infantry Company E - Fairfield County
The Three Month Men - From the journal of Pvt. Horace Purdy.
Infantry Company F - New Haven County
Infantry Company G - Hartford County
Infantry Company H - Fairfield County
Rifle Company A - Hartford County
Rifle Company B - Fairfield County
[edit | edit source]
- Catalogue of the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th regiments, Connecticut volunteers, 1861 by the Adjutant General's Office at the Salt Lake City Family History Library.
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online Book
- Civil War Graves - First Connecticut Regiment - Roster by Name and Roster by Unit
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 1st Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Connecticut 1st Regiment, Stamford Roster - The Stamford Historical Society, Inc.
- Soldiers of Waterbury, New Haven County, in the War For the Union - History of the Soldier's Monument in Waterbury, Conn.: to which is added a list of the soldiers and sailors who went from Waterbury to fight in the war for the Union. Including: Field, Staff, Band and Company D.