Woodford, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Woodford, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||West Ham|
|Registration District||West Ham|
|Parish registers: 1638|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WOODFORD (St. Mary), is a parish, in the union of West Ham, the hundred of Becontree, and S division of Essex, it is 8 miles NE by N from London. The church was erected on the site of a former edifice, in 1817, and is situated in the lowest part of the village, on the west side of the London road. An episcopal chapel has been built and there are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Woodford parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|Woodford Online Parish Records|
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office
- St Mary, High Road, Woodford
Burials 1638-1899: ERO
Burials 1638-1812: EoLFHS Publications
- All Saints, Woodford Wells
Marriages 1876-1902: ERO
- Holy Trinity, Hermon Hill, South Woodford
Marriages 1888-1975: ERO
- St Andrew, Chingford Road, Woodford Wells. Formed 1888
- St Barnabas, Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green
Marriages 1911-1970: ERO
- St Paul, Manor Road, Woodford Bridge
Burials 1854-1960: ERO
- St Philip & St James, Grove Hill, South Woodford
Marriages 1952-1970: ERO
- St Thomas of Canterbury (Roman Catholic), High Road, Woodford Green Formed 1894
- Dr Barnardo's Homes (Boys), Manor Road, Woodford Bridge
Baptisms 1911-1967: Barnardo
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Derby Road, South Woodford
Baptisms 1877-1953: ERO
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted 7 June 2013
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.