Woodchurch, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Woodchurch, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Woodchurch All+Saints Kent
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1565|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WOODCHURCH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tenterden, hundred of Blackbourne, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W division of Kent, 4 miles E by N from Tenterden. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. 
Woodchurch is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent Woodchurch Kent Wikipedia
Woodchurch is an Ancient Parish in Kent, in the Lympne deanery of the Diocese of Canterbury; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you.
The Parish church of All Saints, Rectory Close, Woodchurch has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Woodchurch parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Woodchurch Online Parish Records|
|FS Canterbury PRs||1538-1986||1538-1986||1538-1986|
|FMP East Kent||1538-1754||1813-1841|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks has indexes available for select parishes. Records are also available at the Kent Archives.
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Woodchurch are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis,Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 652-654. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.