Witton (near Brundall), Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Witton (near Brundall), Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Witton (near Brundall), Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1571|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
WITTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E.) from Norwich. 
Witton St Margaret known as Witton-by-Norwich is an ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich, Blofield Deanery. Confusingly there is another Witton St Margaret in the Waxham deanery. Additional photos and information are available throught the Norfolk Churches website.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Witton (near Brundall), Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Witton (near Brundall), Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1600-1607, 1623-1636, 1668-1812 Marriages 1602, 1669-1811 Burials 1607, 1625-1636, 1668-1812
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526738 Item 9
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1891 Census Surname Index courtesy of Geoff Lowe, Pat Greetham and the Norfolk Transcription Archives
Land Records[edit | edit source]
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of Geoff Lowe and the Norfolk Transcription Archives
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Parish Information
- Blofield Deanery
- Photographs and Baptism transcripts
- Postwick with Witton
- British History online
- Norfolk: Witton (near Blofield) on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 636-639. Date accessed: 12 August 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. Saint's dedication is not identified.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.