|Wisconsin Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- Atlas of Historic County Borders - Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Cities and Villages in Multiple Counties
- Wisconsin Cities - theus50.com
- Guide to Ghost Towns in Wisconcin
- Wisconsin Gazetteer: Containing the Names, Location, and Advantages, of the ... John Warren Hunt. Wisconsin Gazetteer: Containing the Names, Location, and Advantages, of the ... B. Brown, printer 1853
- Adam's directory of points and landings on rivers and bayous in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin Louis A Adams. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the State of Alabama.... Wisconsin. New Orleans : W. L. Murray 1877
- Wisconsin state gazetteer and business directory R L Polk. Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory 1891-92. Milwaukee, [Wis.] : Murphy & Co. 1892
- Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory 1895-96 R L Polk. Wisconsin Gazetteer Business Directory 1895-96. Detroit, Mich. [etc.] R.L. Polk & Co., 1896
- Polk's Wisconsin state gazetteer and business directory R L Polk. Polk's Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory 1921-22. Detroit, Mich. [etc.] R.L. Polk & Co., c1927-
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Wisconsin gazetteer 1853 John Warren Hunt. Wisconsin Gazetteer 1853 : containing the names, location and advantages of the counties, cities, towns, villages, post offices, and settlemants, together with a description of the lakes, water courses, prairies, and public localities in the state of Wisconsin. Madison, Wisconsin : B. Brown, 1853
- List of townships in the state of Wisconsin Sheboygan County Historical Research Center. List of Townships in the State of Wisconsin : as taken from the Wisconsin state plat book of circa 1905 and "Atlas of Wisconsin counties" of 1984. List is in two alphabetical sections. Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin : Sheboygan County Historical Research Center, [199-]
- The romance of Wisconsin Place Names Robert Gard and L. G. Sorden. The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Minocqua, Wisconsin : Heartland Press, c1988
- Wisconsin gazetteer Wisconsin Gazetteer. Wilmington, Delaware : American Historical Publications, c1991
- Wisconsin, its counties, townships & villages Wendy (Zastrow) Uncapher and Linda (Zastrow) Herrick. Wisconsin, its Counties, Townships & Villages. Janesville, Wisconsin : ORIGINS Genealogy Shop, c1994
- Wisconsin, atlas of historical county boundaries Gordon DenBoer. Wisconsin, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. New York, New York : Charles Scribner's Sons, c1997
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a state with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)