Winfarthing, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Winfarthing, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Guiltcross|
|Parish registers: 1614|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WINFARTHING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Diss; There are places of worship for Wesleyans andPrimitive Methodists.  Includes Goose Green.
Winfarthing is a village and civil parish in the South Norfolk district of Norfolk Winfarthing Wikipedia
Winfarthing St Mary is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
The church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Lane, Winfarthing has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Frances Blomfield describes the history of the church and parish 'Hundred of Diss: Winfarthing', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 1 (1805), pp. 181-190. at British History Online
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Guiltcross 1837-1901
- Depwade 1901-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Winfarthing, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Winfarthing, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
This parish does not appear at FamilySearch Historical records as no microfilm is held for parish registers, Archdeacon's transcripts are at FamilySearch Historical records see
|Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1725-1811
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526815 Item 12
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Winfarthing on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 613-618. Date accessed:12 August 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.