Winchester St Michael, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Winchester St Michael, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Winchester St Michael, Hampshire|
|County||Hampshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Winchester|
|Parish registers: 1632|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Winchester St Michael was created as one of several chapels of ease or ecclesiastical churches serving and standing within the boundary of Winchester ancient parish. It opened at least by the year 1632, the same year in which its church registers began.
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
See Winchester Cathedral page for a link (or click "A Comprehensive List of Winchester Churches and Chapels for a printout to the list of its city churches to help you more thoroughly research all of Winchester City's churches.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Winchester St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WINCHESTER ST MICHAEL PARISH Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 5 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.