- Wiltshire Nimrod Index - gigantic index to Wiltshire baptisms, marriages, burials, wills, and varied documents. Searchable for a small fee.
526,143 Wiltshire entries are included in England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 or Wiltshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 at Ancestry (£). Formerly known as British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Coverage.
314,702 Wiltshire entries (103 parishes) are included in Wiltshire Baptisms (£). Coverage.
Popular places to marry included Salisbury Cathedral, as well as the parish churches of St Edmund, St Martin, and St Thomas in that town. Other popular places included Mere and Marlborough's two ancient parish churches St Mary and Sts Peter and Paul.
88 Wiltshire parishes are indexed in Joiner's Marriage Index (£). Coverage (65,780 entries) .
122,800 Wiltshire entries are included in England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 at Ancestry (£).
Burials from 125 Wiltshire places (234,934 entries) are included in the National Burial Index (£). Coverage.
Wiltshire Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
- The county of Wiltshire is divided into many parishes with some containing more than one church.
- The term parish is used to describe both a Civil Parish and an Ecclesiastical parish, however these don't necesarily have the same boundaries.
- Our aim is to eventually have an OPC for each Parish.
- Some OPCs take on a few parishes as their own ancestry is spread across them.
- Most of the records have been transcribed by only one person and there may be transcription errors.
- Use these records as a starting point and always check with an original source for confirmation.
- 1609-1837 - Bishop of Salisbury, Dean of Salisbury, and several peculiars, marriage licence bonds and allegations (1609-1837) have been indexed at findmypast. There is also a CD version: FHL CD-ROM no. 2461.
Marriage licences dating from 1615-1622, 1626/7-1646, and 1660-1682 were published in The Genealogist as follows:
Wiltshire county-wide indexes of most nonconformist marriages from 1837-1933 have been compiled by the Wiltshire Family History Society, and these are available for sale on CD-ROM, with over 20,000 marriages from nonconformist chapels and registrar offices throughout the county.
- ↑ 'Genoot Library - British Isles Vital Record Index Breakdown,' Genoot, accessed 1 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Wiltshire Baptisms Coverage,' findmypast, accessed 2 September 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'Coverage of the Joiner Marriage Index', The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 1 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 1 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds,' findmypast, accessed 27 February 2014.