Wighton, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Wighton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WIGHTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of North Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (N. by E.) from Little Walsingham. 
Wighton All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
Wighton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village is situated some 6 km (3.7 mi) south of the town of Wells-next-the-Sea, 12 km (7.5 mi) north of the town of Fakenham, and 45 km (28 mi) north-west of the city of Norwich. The medieval pilgrimage centre of Walsingham lies 3 km (1.9 mi) to the south. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Wighton is on the River Stiffkey and used to have a watermill, but this was demolished in May 1866.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: email@example.com
Church records[edit | edit source]
Wighton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Wighton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 553
The images consist of the following microfilm digital image transfer
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1558-1751. Baptisms, burials, 1752-1812; Marriages, 1752-1753. Baptisms, 1813-1858. Baptisms, 1858-1941. Marriages, 1755-1812; Banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1837-1910. Burials, 1813-1891. Banns, 1825-1936.
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526885 Items 7 - 15
The images contain some record pages for baptisms and marriage entries which are unavailable and await reloading by engineers. You may wish to obtain help for those years and event by using feedback and requesting assistance.
|See also North Creake, Norfolk Genealogy|
Non-Conformist Chapels[edit | edit source]
Wighton Methodist Chapel
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Wighton.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Wighton on GenUKI
- Wighton All Saints on A Church Near You
- History and Photos of the Church
- Jermy family history and other village history
- Wighton on North Norfolk Images
- Church of All Saints on British listed Buildings
- Wighton on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 571-575. Date accessed: 12 August 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.