Wigginton, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Wigginton, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||York|
|Parish registers: 1691|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Alne and Tollerton|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WIGGINTON, a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, union and N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N.) from York, on the road to Helmsley. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Records from York Registration District held at York are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these . There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Online data content from chapelry registers of Wigginton exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP= FindMyPast - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|WIGGINTON PARISH (1691) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the North Yorkshire County Record Office.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 571-575. Date accessed: 11 October 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 28 October 2014.
- 'Yorkshire Parish Records - Parish List,' findmypast, accessed 15 October 2014.