Guide to Wichita People ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and other agency records.
To get started in American Indian Research
Various Spellings: Wichita, Witchetaw, Wicheta, Ouichita
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Wichita and Affiliated Tribes
P.O. Box 729
Anadarko, OK 73005
Population: 1984: Total enrollment:1,170 
History[edit | edit source]
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
- 1541: Early contact Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado
- 1662: Diego Dionisio de Panalosa led an army against the Wichita, defeated the Wichita
- 1660's: Migrated to Canadian River in what is now Oklahoma
- 1719: Established trade relations with Bernard de la Harpe
- 1700's: Osage War parties drove the the Wichita further south to the Red River-(Oklahoma and Texas)
- 1835 Treaty, August 24, at Camp Holmes Treaty, with the Comanche
- 1846 Treaty, May 15, at Council Springs Treaty, with the Comanche, Aionai, Anadarko, Caddo, Etc.,
- 1850: Moved to Wichita Mountains near Fort Sill of the Indian Territory
- 1859: Assigned a reservation with the Caddo tribe
- 1872: Reservation established
- 1901: Wichita and Kiowa-Comanche Reservations are opened to settlement, the lst opening in Oklahoma.
Reservations[edit | edit source]
Reservation is a tract of land set aside for occupation and use by American Indians.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe[edit | edit source]
Agencies[edit | edit source]
The tribe was under the jurisdiction of the following agencies
Superintendencies[edit | edit source]
Records for Superintendencies exist in the National Archives and copies of many of them are also available in other research facilities.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Correspondence and Census[edit | edit source]
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 963
M595 RG 75 Rolls 692
|Wichita, Indian Territory Oklahoma||Kiowa Agency, 1878-1962||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 383-86||-||Rolls 211-23||FHL Films: 576900-576912|
|Wichita||Texas Agency, 1847-59||Washington D.C.||Rolls 858-61||-||-||-|
|Wichita||Wichita Agency,1857-78||Washington D.C.||Rolls 928-30||-||-||-|
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Tribally owned land: 2,602.64 acres. Allotted land: 55,599.92 acres. 
Treaties[edit | edit source]
- 1835 August 24, at Camp Holmes, with the Comanche
- 1846May 15, at Council Springs, with the Comanche, Aionai, Anadarko, Caddo, Etc.,
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- Kiowa Agency, M595 ,birth and deaths 1930-1936, FHL Film: 576911
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- Wichita Tribe Wikipedia
References[edit | edit source]
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 243
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 242
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published