Whittington, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Whittington, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield|
|Parish registers: 1574|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1663|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Whittington and Baswich|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WHITTINGTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2½ miles (E. by S.)from Lichfield. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Whittington St Giles parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|WHITTINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1574-1954 Mar 1574-1926 Bur 1574-1931
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1663-1870 Mar 1663-1840 Bur 1663-1870 Bap/Mar/Bur missing 1816 Bap/Bur missing 1858,1868
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Whittington, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-560. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.