White Plains Maryland Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The White Plains Family History Center serves the Charles County area of Southern Maryland.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location Map: Location Map
- 4560 Padgett Road, White Plains, MD 20695 United States
- The Family History entrance is on the east side of the church. The door is usually locked but there is a doorbell. Please park in the parking lot on the north side of the church.
- Monday: Closed
- Tuesday: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm; 7 pm - 9 pm
- Wednesday: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm; 7 pm - 9 pm
- Thursday: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm;
- Friday: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
- Closed when Charles County Schools are closed due to inclement weather.
- When Charles County Schools open late due to weather the morning shifts will close and the evening shifts will be open.
2017 Holiday Closing Schedule:
- April 14 (Good Friday)
- Friday May 26th (Friday before Memorial Day)
- July 4th
- Friday September 2nd (Friday before Labor Day)
- Friday November 10th (Veteran's Day)
- 22 - 24 November (Thanksgiving)
- 25 December - 2 January 2018 (Christmas)
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- The White Plains Family History Center has a small collection of books and microfilms which primarily focus on Southern Maryland research.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- This center has ten computers, two printers, one microfilm readers, one microfiche reader and a microfilm/microfiche scanner to assist patrons in their research.
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
The Southern Maryland Studies Center(SMSC) was founded by the College of Southern Maryland in 1976 in order to provide a central location for research on this historically important region. Students, historians, genealogists, and community members use SMSC’s resources to study the culture and development of Charles, Calvert, St. Mary’s, and southern areas of Anne Arundel and Prince George’s Counties. Visitors will find a variety of materials for historical, cultural, and genealogical research. The Southern Maryland Studies Center is located within the Library (LR Building) at the College of Southern Maryland’s main campus in La Plata, Maryland, Room LR 211. The Reading Room of the Southern Maryland Studies Center has the same hours of operation as the College of Southern Maryland Library. The archival collections are available during the hours of 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The address is 8730 Mitchell Road, PO Box 910, LaPlata, Md. 20646-0910.