Weybread, Suffolk Genealogy
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WEYBREAD, a large and well-built village, pleasantly situated on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Waveney, 2 1/2 miles S. by W. of Harleston, and 8 1/2 miles E.N.E. of Eye, has in its parish 771 souls, and 2476a. 2r. 35p. of land, including roads, &c. Here are two large corn mills on the Waveney, and a little below is Shotford Bridge, crossing the river to Brockdish, in Norfolk. The parish is in four manors, of which the following are the names and lords:—Weybread Hall, Mr. Jennings Booty; the Rectory Manor, John Cutts ; Hoblitis, Wm. Cook, Esq; and Instead, Mr. William Richards..... William White, 1844 Gazetteer of Suffolk, page 473 to 474
|Brockdish||Needham||Redenhall with Harleston|
|Mendham : : : : Withersdale|
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Weybread and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
|Project members: Refer to Suffolk Talk Page for details about developing this page.|
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
Weybread, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Weybread, Suffolk Genealogy Online Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1687. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1687 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre-1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Weybread. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Census records[edit | edit source]
There are census records available for Weybread from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Weybread, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Weybread was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Weybread on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
Websites[edit | edit source]
Had two large corn mills on the river Waveney
References[edit | edit source]
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 18 December 2015.
- 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848),pp. 529-534. Date accessed: 09 October 2013.