West Harling, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to West Harling, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Harling, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Guiltcross|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HARLING, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from East Harling. 
West Harling All Saints is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Guiltcross 1837-1902
- Thetford 1902-1935
- Wayland 1935-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
West Harling, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|West Harling, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1538-1904||Undefined||1538-1906||Undefined||1538-1787, 1791-1811, 1813-1906|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 27/ 1-7
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
later Thetford Poor Law Union
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: West Harling on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 409-413. Date accessed: 05 August 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.