Weeke, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Weeke, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Hampshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Winchester|
|Parish registers: 1573|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WEEK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Winchester, hundred of Buddlesgate, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Hampshire; adjoining the city of Winchester northwest by west (which see "Winchester Cathedral" for a full list of parishes and chapels in this area). On the boundary of this parish formerly stood the church of St. Anastasia; and another, dedicated to St. Mary, is supposed to have existed in 1300, at Fullflood, in Week, to which the present church was a chapel. Part of the parish is bounded by the old castle walls of Winchester. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Weeke parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|WEEKE PARISH Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51384#s13 A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848: London. Adapted. Date Accessed: 11 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 5 October 2013.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.