Wayland Poor Law Union
Parishes[edit | edit source]
The following parishes comprised the union:, Attleborough, Norfolk, Besthorpe, Norfolk, Breckles, Norfolk, Carbrooke, Norfolk, Caston, Norfolk, Great Ellingham, Norfolk, Little Ellingham, Norfolk, Griston, Norfolk, Hargham, Norfolk, Hockham, Norfolk, Illington, Norfolk, Larling, Norfolk, Merton , Ovington, Norfolk, Rockland All Saints, Norfolk, Rockland St Andrew,Norfolk see Rockland St Mary, Norfolk , Rockland St Peter, Norfolk, Roudham, Norfolk, Scoulton, Norfolk, Shropham, Norfolk, Snetterton, Norfolk, Stow Bedon, Norfolk, Thompson, Norfolk, Tottington, Norfolk, Watton, Norfolk.
Records[edit | edit source]
Norfolk Record Office reference C/GP 20
Records of the Wayland Poor Law Union
Extent 132 pieces
Wayland Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse at Rockland All Saints was opened in 1836. Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 11 in 1930. 1948 Attleborough Infirmary was taken over by the central government and administered as Wayland Hospital.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 18 April 1977 (C/GP 20/129-131), 18 May 1976 (C/GP 20/132) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP 20/1-12, 107 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 11 (including administration of Thetford Public Assistance Institution, Thetford Children's Home, Attleborough Infirmary and boarding-out of children), see C/GC11. For records of Wayland Hospital see Public Records H 6.
Websites[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the Wayland workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk/Wayland