Washington, Western District, Naturalization Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Washington, Western District, Naturalization Records, 1853-1957
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1851-1858 (31 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Group||RG 21: Records of District Courts of the United States|
|Microfilm Publication||M1542. Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1890-1957. 153 rolls.|
|National Archives Identifier||5927795709976|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of petitions for naturalization records and indexes of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1853-1957 for Seattle and Tacoma. These records correspond to NARA publication M1542 and is part of Record Group 21 Records of the District Courts of the United States.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Seattle Term. NAID 592779.Petitions for Naturalization,1890-1991.Seattle, rolls, 1-121
- U.S. Circuit Court for the Western (Tacoma) Division of the District of Washington. Petitions for Naturalization,1890-1904. Tacoma,rolls 121-153
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Washington, Western District, Naturalization Records, 1853-1957.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the immigrant
- Country of birth
- Arrival date
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
- Birth date
- Last foreign residence
- Current residence
- Arrival place
- Marital status
- Name of spouse
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, and Volume Number or Letter to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Washington, Western District, Naturalization Records, 1853-1957. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to find other records such as emigrations, port records, ship’s manifests, birth, christening, census, and land records
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Use the information to find additional family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Washington.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Washington Guided Research
- Washington Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1907 | 1907-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- U.S. District Court. Western District. Tacoma naturalization records, 1890-1957; indexes, 1854-1922. M1232
- U.S. District Court. Eastern District. Declaration of intention, 1890-1972; petition for naturalization, 1907-1950; repatriations, 1940-1942; application for citizenship, 1879-1906; indexes, 1890-1947
- Certificate of head tax paid by aliens arriving at Seattle from foreign contiguous territory : National Archives microfilm publications, M1365
- U.S. District Court. Western District. Southern Division. Indexes to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, Southern Division (Tacoma), 1890-1953 : NARA RG21 publication M1237
- Naturalization records of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1890-1957; indexes to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court Western District of Washington Northern Division (Seattle), 1890-1952 : NARA RG21 publications M1542 and M1232
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.