Washington, County Probate Case Files - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Washington|
|Location of Washington|
|State Archives, Olympia, Washington|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection includes probate records for the years 1832 to 1950. This collection includes probate records created in the following county courts:
- Grays Harbor
Each county began keeping probate records from the time the county was created.
Probate records were used to legally dispose of a person’s estate after his or her death. If the deceased had made a will, the probate process transferred the following from the deceased to an executor or executrix: the legal responsibility for payment of taxes, care and custody of dependent family members, liquidation of debts, and transfer of property title to heirs. If there was no will, the transfer went to an administrator or administratrix. A guardian or conservator was appointed if the deceased had heirs younger than 21 or if the heirs were incompetent due to disability or disease.
The death date, residence, and other facts that were current at the time of the probate proceedings are reliable, but realize that there is still a chance of misinformation. The records may omit the names of deceased family members or those who had previously received an inheritance. In some cases, the spouse mentioned in the will was not the parent of the children mentioned. Also, some wills do not name family members.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the deceased
- Death date
- Death place
- Heirs (these are usually family members)
- Court where the estate was probated
- Court location
- Court date of probate
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the
- Select County
- Select Surname Letter
- Select Individual's Name, Year
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
If these are indexes, the original records may contain additional information than was not indexed, or the information might have been indexed incorrectly. You may want to search for the original record at the Washington State Archives.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use a Probate record to identify adoptions, guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find birth, baptism, and marriage records
- Use the probate dates to approximate a death date and search for death or burial information
- Use the information found in the record to find land and property records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching in nearby locations
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Washington.
- Beginning Research in United States Probate Records
- Washington Guided Research
- Washington Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1907 | 1907-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Clark County. probate records, 1854-1979
- Clark County. wills, 1890-1951
- Cowlitz County. probate records, 1845-1954
- Grays Harbor County. probate records: probate record books, wills, 1857-1930
- Grays Harbor County. wills, 1860-1938
- King County. Probate records, 1854-1927
- Lewis County. Probate records, 1867-1949
- Mason County. Probate records : case files, dockets, letters, 1845-1957
- Mason County. Wills, 1884-1929
- Pacific County. Probate records, 1851-1950
- Skamania County. Probate court records, 1854-1984
- Skamania County. Probate records : case files, administrations, bonds, 1922-1967
- Skamania County. Wills, 1872-1962
- Thurston County. Probate records, 1853-1963; indexes, 1887-1949, 1853-1963
- Thurston County. Probate records, 1859-1961
- Thurston County. Probate records, 1845-1951
- Thurston County. Wills, 1876-1937
- Wahkiakum County. Probate records, 1854-1922, ca. 1854-1990
- Wahkiakum County. Probate records, Wills, 1865-1970
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.